This wonderful colonial estate was the creation and personal residence of Max Hindel, a famous architect active in Japan in the 1920s and 1930s. Among his many famous buildings, Hindel was well known as the designer of Sophia University’s Building No.1, the Hokusei Gakuen Centennial Hall, the Kanda Catholic Church, the Matsugamine Catholic Church and the Towada Catholic Church.
The current owner’s grandfather purchased this lovely house and cared for it greatly for many years. It is extremely rare to find such a beautifully preserved historical home with very large lawn and gardens in the Yamate area of Yokohama.
Because of the expansive land area, the owners have been approached about selling as a condominium development site, however this mansion and garden are so beautiful, it would be shame to demolish them. It would be preferred if someone who can appreciate and understand the beauty and historical value of this building were to purchase the property, although the ultimate use would be up to the purchaser.
The city of Yokohama once contacted the current owners about designating and preserving the building as an example of an early historical Western-style house. The owners felt that in designating the home as such it may be more difficult to sell, so they have decided not to register it for the time being. There are currently seven Western-style houses in the Yamate area registered as historical Western-style houses, and this mansion is as lovely of a home as you will find in in the area.
The building was completed in 1927 and has undergone occasional updates since where necessary, so it is very clean, while preserving all of its historical charm. The living room floor is a unique custom parquet pattern. The living/dining areas have many windows and abundant natural light. The moment you enter the living room through the front door is a breathtakingly affair. Hinder believed that it was important to have many windows in the living and dining spaces, so that occupants can enjoy the view the gardens from every room. The wonderful views down to the gardens below from the building’s main floor bring a sense of peace and tranquility. The layout of the buildings and gardens is similar to the Kamakura Literature Museum and the Kyu-Furukawa Gardens.
The current owner’s parents often enjoyed having a band entertain guests in the garden for garden parties. The garden consists of lovely mature ginkgo, maple and other trees. These tall trees surround the property and provide a good sense of privacy.
We have not inquired as to whether it can be used as a wedding hall or a restaurant, but if it can, it is a good size to be used as such uses.
The owner also purchased the red brick house next to this property 4 years ago. This house is located on the main street (Gas Yama Dori). It is possible to purchase this property as well, which would provide additional access from the main street. Or the properties can be purchased separately.
JR Negishi Line “Yamate Station” 14min walk/ by car 5min drive
1F floor size: 209.80sqm
2F floor Size: 195.76sqm
Total Floor Size: 405.56sqm
Wood Structure built in 1927.
Yokohama Yamate Max Hinder
Oct 22, 2020
Next Update Schedule
Nov 21, 2020
Owner did renovation several times. It is very clean.
GPlusMedia Inc. (hereinafter referred to as GPM) is not a real estate agent and does not provide the intermediary service for any properties posted on this website.
1) GPM shall not be held responsible for administering a practice of monitoring the companies, which provide contents on GPM.
2) GPM shall not be held responsible for the accuracy of the content of the site. GPM cannot review all the content posted by users or third parties. Users shall use the site at their own discretion and GPM shall not be considered responsible for damages or losses incurred from the use of the site.
3) GPM shall not be held responsible for any damages arising out from natural calamity, temporary suspension of service due to the site maintenance, device failure or concentrated access, fabrication or leakage of the information caused by third parties, the loss and delayed delivery of the information and/or provision of outdated information attributed to the termination of the contract between GPM and real estate agents. Neither shall GPM be held responsible for any accidents and other damages on software and hardware caused in the use of GPM.
4) Besides the cases stated in the previous clauses, GPM is not liable to any claim or controversy arising out of or relating to the use of GPM’s services excluding any claim or controversy causes for reasons attributable to GPM.
5) This site contains links to external sites administrated by third parties. GPM shall not be held responsible for the availability or content of external sites.